Translate

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Masters We Mentor

I once read that we cannot measure ourselves in terms of our own mastery, but rather, in terms of the masters we help to create. Today I measured myself when one of my students, brilliant 14-year-old Erin, sent me a link to her own blogspot, full of concrete evidence of my influence as a mentor.

http://howtooverscheduleyourchild.blogspot.com

Many of the posts are pieces she wrote in response to my writing prompts, in our weekly class, pieces that elicited awed silence and dropped jaws, followed by heartfelt applause. Erin, master-in-the-making, sets the bar for her fellow students, and I recommend her blog to any students or teachers of writing--or anyone who simply wants a peek into an extraordinary teenage mind.

Thank you, Erin, for the chance to measure myself and discover how I have grown, as a teacher, through your success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind comments!