Translate

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I Enter Writing Contests, Too!

Writer’s Digest contest directions:
Your Story #26--Bloody Knife in Your Hand
You wake up to find a dead body on the floor—and a bloody knife in your hands.
You can't remember exactly what happened, so you piece together the clues.


MY ENTRY:

"Wait, what?" I mumbled, struggling to sit up and open my eyes. Through the strobe-light created by my flickering eyelids and a hot, bright light, I thought I saw a bloody body. Yes, a body. A man. Slashed by... "Oh my God!" I unclenched my hand and a blood-smeared knife clattered against the floor. The back of my head throbbed, and I couldn't figure out how I'd fallen or why I'd been fighting with a knife or who the dead guy was or WHAT THE #@%% I WAS GOING TO DO NOW.

I scrambled to my feet, suddenly drenched in sweat, and gasped as I heard a voice snap at me.

"What are you doing?!"

I squeezed my eyes shut, preparing to be killed by the angry man. "Please don't--"

"CUT! That's not in the script! Geez, did you actually knock yourself out when you did that fall?"

I opened my eyes, suddenly remembering that voice. The voice that had asked me just moments ago--at least it seemed like moments--whether I wanted to do my own stunt or let a stunt man fall for me.

I rubbed my aching head, forgetting about the sticky, fake blood, and then grimacing as I felt the goo in my hair. The dead guy sat up and sighed. The director groaned. And I asked timidly, "Take two?"

Then everyone on the set burst out laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind comments!